Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Another Great report from the cardiologist!

This was the day we brought her home from the hospital. We found out about her heart when she was two days old, but had no idea how bad it was until she was a few weeks old.
Libby, Aunt Kim and baby Cassie. She was just a few days old here.
Here's a good one of Cassie. She still sleeps like this!

Kevin and I took Cassie to her annual cardiologist appointment on the 30th. We were thrilled that her EKG didn't show any signs of SVT. Cassie was born with a hole in the center of her heart, and suffered from SVT as an infant. She took two medications when she was an infant. One to slow her heart down and the other to get the fluid off her lungs and help to close the hole in her heart. At one checkup that I went to when Cassie was about a month old My mother in law and I were told that Cassie would most likely have to have open heart surgery to correct her hole. Mi Mi just didn't' believe the doctor, and was sure it would close. Well, the hole did close and her heart rate corrected itself also. She will continue to see this doctor until she is about 16. SVT can return with certain growth spurts and can show up again at puberty. I really don't know where the last 4 years have gone. Cassidy continues to grow and thrive. I have no idea how she is growing considering the amount of food we can actually get her to eat! Cassidy had jaundice as a newborn and then it came back when she was 3 weeks old. She wasn't gaining weight and I was told that my breast milk didn't have enough calories. One doctor actually told me if I didn't get her off my milk she would die! What a jerk! So we supplemented with formula until she was 6 weeks old. I couldn't take all that stress and at 6 weeks I stopped feeding her the breastmilk and switched to formula. Well, that's when the little turkey started to gain weight! She liked junk food better when she was an infant too!!!! I wanted to post some pics of Cassie when she was first born, but I couldn't find the ones from the hospital.

I am just thrilled how well Cassie has done. Now she is hardly ever sick! She hasn't missed on day of school this school year. We were so blessed that I could stay home with Cassie until she was 18 months. Thanks to Kim for letting work for her. I'm sure I was the worst proofer ever at Inviting Smiles. I really wasn't good at it all!! The only job I can ever see myself doing is being Mom to Cassie and a teacher.

After this appointment Cassie and I met Libby and Kim at North Park Mall. Kim was such a great support to me when Cassie was born. My parents, brother, sister in law Mundy, and Kevin's parents were also a huge support. I also had a ton of friends and co-workers who prayed for Cassie, and I truly believe that is how her hole and SVT were corrected. She is my little miracle child and I love her so much!!!!

2 comments:

Eigna said...

I can't believe how little she was. She is so cute!!! Hope you all had a Christmas and New Year!

txmomof2 said...

Wonderful news!! Cute pictures of your little angel.