Sunday, February 1, 2009

Cassidy's latest adventure

Late this afternoon Cassidy decided that it would be fun to try to swallow a jack. I have no idea where she found this jack or why she thought it would be tasty. I was out on a short shopping adventure to Target when I decided to call Kevin and see if he needed anything. I was pissed because the phone line was busy. I kept trying to call for about 15 minutes. I called his cell and couldn't get him. I thought who is he talking to? Kevin never talks on the phone. He finally called me back to tell me that an EMT just left our house. Kevin explained to me that Cassidy had swallowed a jack. Cassidy was watching a movie in the living room and he heard her crying from the office. She was crying "Mommy, mommy!". When Kevin approached her, she pointed to her throat and was gaging. Kevin didn't know what was in her throat at the time, so just told her to try and cough up whatever was lodged in her throat. Kevin tried slapping her back a few times hard, but she kept crying and it didn't come out. Her face then started to turn somewhat blue - which is when Kevin called 911. The 911 dispatcher kept Kevin on the phone getting information from him. While he was on the phone with 911 Kevin performed the Heimlich maneuver and Cassidy threw up the jack. Kevin told the 911 dispatcher that she seemed okay, but they insisted on sending out the EMT. They came inside the house and checked to make sure Cassidy's throat was ok and that she didn't swallow anything else and was breathing ok. I'm so grateful that Kevin called 911 and was able to save our baby. For some reason Cassidy wants to put everything in her mouth and we have been telling her not to do this since she was about one. Maybe this will cure her of putting toys in her mouth.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Oh my! How scary. And to think what that must have felt like going down and then coming back up again. Ouch!

Jen
http://www.meanderingmind.net/

txmomof2 said...

Oh my gosh!! This is so scary! I'm so glad Kevin called 911 right away and that things turned out OK. What a scary, scary thing for 2parents.